Pioneers of ethical and responsible investment, CCLA has been leading the investment industry in collective action for decades.
CCLA is now the UK’s largest charity fund manager. Well known for managing investments for charities, religious organisations and the public sector, 2022 marks a new phase in our development as we welcome other types of investor with the launch of our Better World fund.
CCLA was born through the launch of the Church of England Investment Fund in 1958, which allowed church organisations to pool their funds for greater efficiency and service. Local authorities followed this lead in 1961 and in 1963 the Charity Commission followed suit for the broader charity market.
With the introduction of financial services regulation in 1987, Churches, Charities and Local Authorities (CCLA) Investment Management Limited was formed. Our approach to ESG and ethical and responsible investment stems from this heritage.
CCLA is in the unique position of being owned by investment funds of our three client groups – churches, charities and local authorities. We are the spirit of a mutual in the body of a commercial private limited company. One trustee from each group is a CCLA non-executive director and we report on company performance each quarter to all trustees. Our ownership structure is determined by our history and fully reflective of our client base.
We are proud to have won, and be shortlisted in, some of the financial industry’s leading awards.
Our accolades in 2023 include:
ESG Clarity Awards
- Winners of ‘Best Social Initiative’ for our corporate global and UK mental health benchmarks.
- Amy Browne, Stewardship Lead, featured in Financial News’ Rising Stars of Fund Management.
- James Corah, Head of Sustainability, featured in Financial News' Fifty Most Influential in Sustainable Finance.
- Winners of ‘ESG Initiative of the Year’ for our corporate global and UK mental health benchmarks at Financial News’ Excellence in Institutional Fund Management Awards.
Investment Week Sustainable Investment Awards
- Winners of ‘Best Sustainable Investment Engagement Initiative’ for our corporate global and UK mental health benchmarks.
- Winners of ‘Sustainable Investment Fund Management Group of the Year (AUM under £50bn)’.
- Winners of ‘Outstanding Contribution to the Sustainable Investment Industry’. This award recognised our head of sustainability, James Corah.
- Dr Martin Buttle, Better Work Lead, shortlisted for ‘Rising Star Sustainable Investment Champion of the Year’.
Investment Week Women in Investment Awards
- Clémence Chatelin, ESG Integration Manager, shortlisted for ‘Rising Star of the Year (small to medium firms)’.
- Amy Browne, Stewardship Lead, shortlisted for ‘Sustainable & ESG Investment Woman of the Year (small to medium firms)’.
Make a Difference Awards
- Winners of 'Game-changing Initiative of the Year' for our corporate global and UK mental health benchmarks.
Portfolio Adviser Wealth Partnership Awards
- Winners of ‘ESG Advocate (Asset Manager)’.